Customer Data Architect
About Census 🔁
Census is how data teams at companies like Figma, Notion, Rippling, Clearbit, and Fivetran build better business operations.
With Census, analysts can turn their data warehouse into a single source of truth and publish their insights directly into the apps that marketing, sales, and success teams use daily. With richer customer data, these teams can build better campaigns, understand what users are doing, and ultimately drive more sustainable revenue.
Backed by a16z and Sequoia, we're a hybrid team headquartered in San Francisco who love taking annoying problems most people avoid and building elegant solutions for them. We believe that data should be used for more than just making charts. This is why we built the first integration platform that works directly within cloud data warehouses.
Your Mission 🚀
We're looking to grow our new Customer Data Architect team. Everyone at Census cares about making our customers’ job easier, faster, and more rewarding. But that's literally your full time job. You are part of our customers' support crew. You have their back, and make sure they’ve got the tools and knowledge they need to get their work done.
To help our customers, we need to understand everything about our customers. You'll be in charge of building a real relationship with each customer. Their KPIs are your KPIs so you'll need to understand their business even better than they do and then helping them build solutions using Census, dbt, data warehouses, and the rest of the modern data stack. You'll be on the bleeding edge of analytics engineering, helping everyone else make sure they're building the right thing.
This is the chance for you to define the role as we build the team from the ground up. Both working directly with our customers day to day and helping us design what the function looks like as we grow.
Your responsibilities 🗓
- Building relationships with prospective customers, understanding what they’re trying to accomplish.
- Helping new customers get started with Census and get the most out of it over time.
- Working with high priority customers to recommend best practices and architect their Census data flows.
- Writing SQL as examples or to directly provide solutions to customers.
- Meet with new and existing customers where they are: over email, Slack, and Zoom. Or in the wider data community (hi dbt slack friends!)
- Converting interesting ideas, patterns, and lessons into written and video content to help the entire community.
- Partnering with the engineering team to debug issues and represent customers best interests in product planning.
Our ideal candidate 🏅
- Data Analysis background – Direct experience writing advanced SQL to analyze arbitrary data sets (you know the stuff: aggregates, CTEs, window functions, etc). Bonus points for experience using any of the tools in the modern data stack.
- Technical problem solving – Love to nerd out on technical problems, creative out of the box thinking about solutions.
- Curiosity – Interest in learning and exploring, experimenting, and teaching others.
- Emotional Intelligence (EQ) – Genuine desire to see other people succeed and help them get there.
- Self-motivation – Desire to work in a startup environment without the structure of big companies.
Our benefits 🏆
- Competitive salary and equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance (full platinum coverage for dependents)
- 401k with 4% match
- Flexible time off (20+ days/year recommended)
- Parental leave
Census is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion at our company. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
What are you waiting for? Apply ⬇️
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We help Ops teams Unify, Transform & Sync their customer data from their data warehouse to all of their tools.