Senior SEO manager
✍🏽 About Writer
Great writing for everyone. That's our vision.
We're filling a big need for a writing assistant that's built ground-up for the needs of professional users and teams. Writing really is the last unstructured business process. Our roadmap is an exciting combination of deepening functionality for team leaders and extending functionality for end users — helping them be more effective and efficient in their writing.
🛣 Traction and backing
- Our customers include Twitter, Intuit, UiPath, Pinterest, and InVision. It's a great community of writers, content strategists, copyeditors, and editorial leaders. They are a true community and the content vanguard. We have a NRR of +130% and we're just getting started.
- Our funnel is large and growing fast (+1M visitors/month, thousands of weekly trial starts). This is important, as you'll have nearly instant feedback on the features you'll be building or the growth experiments you'll be running.
- We're backed by the best funds in the game and a world-class group of founders, operators, and angels. (Series A not yet announced 🤫 but we will share more when we meet.)
🎯 Why it's the perfect time to join
- We're 25 people. There's a lot of room to contribute and grow an enduring SaaS company. You will have unquestionably made it happen.
- We have strong PMF. We have strong DAUs and deep usage. People spend hours in Writer. The work you'll do will have a direct impact on some of the top companies in the world — as well as users who depend on us to sharpen their writing.
- Build it, nail it, scale it. We're at 'nail it.' If you like helping turn dirt paths into smooth roads, now is the perfect time to join. We've grown 5x and are running fast towards aggressive — and achievable — milestones.
📐 About this role
We’ve had early success with organic search, and we’re ready to take things to the next level with a Senior SEO Manager. As a core member of the marketing team, you’ll work alongside content and outreach specialists as well as a dedicated developer for technical work.
The organic potential in our space is enormous, and we’re looking for someone who can seize the opportunity and fuel our next phase of growth.
🦸🏻♀️ Your responsibilities
- Develop the strategy and roadmap for organic search growth
- Make sure SEO contributes to our business goals of new trial starts and customers
- Regularly audit our websites and look for new SEO opportunities
- Track organic traffic patterns, site visibility, and other health metrics
- Perform keyword research and identify topic opportunities for content creation
- Maintain a technical backlog and work with the website developer on SEO tickets
- Work with our managing editor to plan new content with organic search potential in mind
- Coordinate with our outreach manager on strategies to maximize inbound links
- Carry out competitor research and analysis
- Monitor analytics tools to determine if projects are tracking towards SEO goals
- Keep pace with the changing SEO landscape and refine best practices accordingly
⭐️ Is this you?
- +3 years experience in a similar role overseeing SEO activities, preferable in SaaS or B2B
- Proven track record of growing organic search traffic through SEO
- Strong technical knowledge including:
- Core Web Vitals
- Server responses
- Structured data
- Mobile-first development
- Strong analytical skills and experience using tools like Google Analytics, Data Studio, and Search Console
- Expertise with tools such as Ahrefs, SEMrush, Screaming Frog, Google Tag Manager, and WordPress
- Advanced spreadsheet skills for working with data (i.e., pivot tables, lookups)
- High attention to detail
- Proactive communication skills, both sync and async
- Intrinsically motivated: you set the highest possible bar for what you do
- A great writer
- A connection to our mission of Great writing for everyone
- A natural affinity to our values of Connect, challenge, own
We don’t spend frivolously, but we do take care of our own. Besides smart, sincere colleagues and a vibrant work environment, we are proud to offer:
- Employer-covered medical plans, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Competitive parental leave policy (parents actually work here!)
- Generous PTO
- Company stock options
- 401k plan with employer matching
- Flexible schedules
Writer is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity. We don't make hiring or employment decisions based on race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Under the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The AI writing assistant for the world’s smartest content teams.