About Census 🔃
Census is how data teams at companies like Figma, Notion, Rippling, Clearbit, and Fivetran build better business operations.
With Census, analysts can turn their data warehouse into a single source of truth and publish their insights directly into the apps that marketing & sales teams use daily. With live data, these teams can build better campaigns, understand what users are doing, and ultimately drive more sustainable revenue.
We're a hybrid team headquartered in San Francisco who love taking annoying problems most people avoid and building simple solutions for them. We believe that data should be used for more than just making charts. This is why we built the first integration platform that works directly within cloud data warehouses.
Your mission 🚀
We're looking for our very first Sales Engineer. This role is insanely high impact; you’ll play the leading role of designing how all technical sales will work at Census. You’ll be one part prospective customer partner, working closely with them on highly technical challenges. You’ll provide technical guidance, solutions design, and thought leadership that enables companies to build better operations workflows. You’ll pair with prospective customers to drive the Census evaluation process, scoping out meaningful proof points, and then ensuring they have the best chance of evaluating Census successfully.
For the other part, you will be an educator and architect alongside our Sales team. You will shape the first impressions of technical teams with Census. From demos to workshops, playbooks, and sales enablement, you will help to establish the operating manual for teaching organizations about the value of Census.
Your responsibilities 🗓
- Partner with Account Executives to give prospective customers on data and operational teams access to deep technical knowledge of the Census product and broader data ecosystem.
- Consult prospects to understand the technical “art of the possible” of the Census product, as well as use cases and best practices.
- Take ownership of customer’s technical evaluation. Ensure that all technical issues, questions, and concerns of product fit are clearly resolved.
- Collaborate as the technical liaison between Census sales and engineering teams.
- Engage with product and engineering teams on roadmap, sharing customer/prospect feedback.
- Codify and share how-to’s in our documentation and internal knowledge base.
Our ideal candidate 🏅
- Sales Engineer experience - 2+ years experience in a sales engineering role working with technical products, particularly with mid-market customers.
- Customer empathy - Ability to understand customer needs, clearly communicate tradeoffs (written and verbal), influence technical audiences, and translate that into technical solutions. Experience demonstrating and articulating product value to operations teams (marketing, customer success, sales, product, or finance)
- Technical background - Experience as an analytics engineer or sales/marketing/revenue operations within a tech startup. Proficiency in SQL and knowledge of database best practices and troubleshooting. Nice-to-haves: knowledge of data modeling, integration, orchestration, working with APIs, and/or Customer Data Platforms
- Self-motivation – Desire to act as a Directly Responsible Individual (DRI) in a startup environment without the structure of big companies. Proven ability to problem-solve your way through issues along and with teams.
- Curiosity – Interest in learning and exploring, experimenting, and teaching others.
Our benefits 🏆
- Competitive salary and equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance (full platinum coverage for dependents)
- Laptop, monitor, and accessories
- Flexible time off (20+ days/year recommended)
- Parental leave
Census is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion at our company. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We help Ops teams Unify, Transform & Sync their customer data from their data warehouse to all of their tools.