Director of Sales
Sales & Business Development
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2023
Esper was founded in 2018 with the mission to empower dynamic and responsive policymaking in government. Esper’s goal is to align existing data, stakeholders and public policy goals to streamline the policymaking process at all levels of Government. We imagine a world where policymaking is driven by data and insights from all stakeholders and we are transforming traditional bureaucracy into a dynamic and flexible system that encourages innovation and collaboration.
Esper is hiring a Director of Sales to lead and manage our growing team of Account Executives. This critical role is responsible for coaching sales team members, reporting out on revenue results and forecasts, and collaborating with the executive team to bring our go to market strategy to life.
Above all, we are seeking a highly ambitious & excellent mentor/coach who is excited to help the company exceed revenue goals!
- Recruit, hire, and mentor sales team members, including Account Executives, Solution Consultants, and Sales Operations
- Hold team members accountable to team and company-wide KPIs
- Strengthen and refine Esper’s sales playbook, including methodology, trackable metrics, and reporting CRM
- Collaborate with marketing to build a strong top of funnel pipeline
- Identify and resource sales assets
- Forecast revenue on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
- Work with Professional Services to establish hand-offs, best practices, and pre-sale Discovery process
- Work with Finance to maintain and update pricing practices and procedures as needed
- Maintain strong working knowledge of Esper’s products and services with ability to communicate and align them to client goals
- 2+ years experience in a senior people manager role
- In-depth knowledge of sales and marketing best practices
- Ability to align technology solutions to complex, multi-stakeholder business problems and utilize strategic thinking skills to solve customer problems
- Strong knowledge of government buying and procurement cycles, with preference for pre-existing relationships with potential channel partners
- Track record of consistent over-achievement of quotas and revenue goals
- Passion for building long lasting customer relationships and working cross-functionally within a diverse team to deliver outstanding results
- Technologically adept with excellent business acumen, outstanding communication skills both written and oral, negotiation and presentation skills
- Ability to quickly develop thorough knowledge of company products
- Bachelor's degree (sales training methodologies is a plus, Graduate Degree is a plus)
- Ability to travel when necessary
Perks and Benefits:
- Base salary $165k - $185k + commission plan, commensurate with experience
- Being a part of an innovative and collaborative team that will both support and challenge you
- Significant opportunity for growth and ownership and to shape Esper for the long-term
- Competitive salary and equity at a growing early-stage company
- Quarterly bonuses
- Paid holidays & unlimited PTO
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous parental & sick leave
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match
- Short/Long term disability & life insurance
- Flexible spending account (FSA)
- Work anniversary equity grants
- Monthly stipend to offset remote work expenses
- Office equipment allowance
- Paid Time Off to participate in volunteer/community events
How this role will be evaluated
- Did we meet our ARR target?
- Quota attainment
- What percentage of the sales team met or exceeded quota?
- New logo acquisition
- How many new customers were acquired during the performance period?
- How have we cross-sold or upsold existing customers?
- Reseller and channel partner strategy
- Are we negotiating with resellers to get the best deal for Esper and our customers?
Sales organization/ process
- Have we established and iterated on a sales playbook strategy for Esper?
- Have we standardized a commission plan for our sales team to keep them incentivized?
- Is the sales team equipped with the right tools to execute (CRM, any other technology needed)
- Ability to collaborate well with professional services, product, and marketing
- Are there open lines of communication across the teams?
This is a remote position where a candidate can reside in the following states. New York, California, Texas, Washington, Washington, D.C, Illinois, Georgia, Connecticut , Iowa, Virginia, Michigan, Maryland, Arizona or Missouri, Michigan, Colorado, Ohio, Oregon, Utah or Massachusetts.